Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Black Like Me - A Mother's Life and Story

I do not even know where to start. There is so much to cover and so little time. (I have to pick up the kids by 3p and I have to do marketing consulting work - my paid gig- before that also.

The challenge with this blog is that I have so much to say. I wake up in the morning looking for the news of the day and I find the news of the millennium for us. So much important information for me as a black parent; so much out there for me to respond to on being a Black woman, wife, mother of a black daughter, mother a black son, hip-hop momma, sista big-bone, sista red-bone, professional woman with ambition, old fashioned lady loving - and trying to stay married to - a too-tough Caribbean (Haitian) man; a lover of music, movies and all things Black that I identify with; all things me, the black striver with Starbucks taste trying to live on a Community Coffee (New Orleans Blend) budget so that I will gain some wealth to pass on to my little Black children. But in the meantime, trying to show them the beauty and challenge of our present.

Take a read of this article by Natalie Hopkinson. She is joining a list of beautiful women and men giving voice to what I consider "Black Like Me." And, as I figure out the workings of this blog, I will continue to expose you to important articles like this that acknowledge and enlighten our experiences as Black parents.


The Hip-Hop Generation, Raising Up Its Sons
By Natalie HopkinsonWashington Post Staff Writer Wednesday, October 18, 2006; Page C01
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/10/17/AR2006101701087.html

1 comment:

qualityeducation4blackchildren said...

Where do I start my response to the article??? From a mother's p.o.v., or that of a teacher? For me, the two are so closely intertwined that at times they are hard to separate. While the comment from the White professor was demeaning, it did not surprise me; I hear worse comments about Black children all the time. Perhaps the one that irritates me the most: "Their parents don't care about the kids' education...I don't even know why they are here." In reality, the parents themselves care but since they likely only have a high school education (if even that), they are not comfortable questioning the system. Furthermore, some Black people were raised to not qustion authority or say anything negative towards White people. Perhaps the saddest fact in this whole situation is that there are Black educators who, once they reach a certain level in their careers, i.e. become administrators, they forget about what's really important: ensuring that our kids rececive a quality education by any means necessary. I don't think mere words can convey my disgust with and embarrassment by the actions of such people, especially since Atlanta is supposedly the 'Black Mecca,' the place where people go to take advantage of the many opportunities. In our haste to but a house in the burbs, the latest model Mercedes/Acura/BMW, we forget about what's really important: giving our children the keys to the future. I have reached a point in my life and career where I have to re-evaluate everything: Do I really want to stay here amongst so many Toms & Coons who disrespect the legacy of Dr. King and the Civil Rights Movement? Will anyone miss me if I leave? Can I even make a difference here? Maybe I am too outspoken to get to where I need to be in order to make a difference. I really don't know the answers to my questions; all I can do is continue to seek guidance from God-He knows my purpose. Maveraick and Mavis are fortunate enough to have 2 educated and professional parents, but we cannot forget about those who do not have those same privileges.